Skip to content
Curtin University
Curtin Information Management and Archives

Frequently Asked Questions


Cloud Computing
Electronic Records
Hard Copy Records
Recordkeeping and Information Management Training
Digitization and Scanning of Records
Personal Information
Freedom of Information
Data Breach

Cloud computing

Q. What is the Cloud?
A. The Cloud is a broad term for describing a service on the internet where you can store files, use/edit documents, or delete stored information from anywhere as long as you have a computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or any other internet-enabled device. Examples of cloud services include Dropbox, Windows Live, GoogleDocs, Evernote and OneDrive for Business (which is a part of the Office365 subscription), and the University's preferred and supported cloud-based sharing tool.
Q. Where is the data or information stored when it is in the cloud?
A. Data is spread across many different servers in different locations and possibly in different countries.  For example, Google has data centres located in the USA, Taiwan, Singapore, Finland and Belgium and Ireland. Be aware, though, that the cloud provider chooses how or where it will store the data on its virtual servers.
Q. What do I need to know about using a cloud service?
A. Please refer to our FAQs for more information on the issues to consider before using cloud services.
Q. Who can I contact for future questions about cloud computing services?
A. For further information, contact Curtin Information Management and Archives on 9266 7050 or For technical enquiries, contact CITS Service Desk at 9266 9000. For legal and contract issues regarding acquiring a cloud service, contact Legal and Compliance Services at 9266 2767.

Electronic Records

Q. Where should I store my electronic records?
A. You must always store original electronic University records in the appropriate folder within your shared network drive (J:Drive) or your area’s shared email box
Do not use the C: or I: drives or removable media such as thumb drives to store electronic University documents. For more information refer to; Using Shared Network Drives and ManagingYour Email
Q. How do I archive my emails?
A. You should store email messages that relate to University business within the appropriate subject folders of your area’s shared network drive or within a shared mailbox. For more information contact or phone 7050

Hard copy records

Q.  What should I do with old hard copy records that are no longer required?
A. Records should be retained in work areas while active.  Once they become inactive (ie are no longer being added to or referred to), then they should be sentenced according to the relevant disposal authority, before permission can be sought to transfer them to Curtin Information Management and Archives.
Q. How do I process records?
A. Contact Curtin Information Management and Archives or search iPerform for the relevant training required to start processing.
  • Remember that both electronic and paper files need to be sentenced.
  • Always check the contents of the file to determine what the file is about
  • Search the disposal authorities for the subject matter of the file and the relevant code
  • For more information refer to; Sentencing Information or contact us on 7050 or  
    Q. Do we need to get authorisation before we destroy records?
    A. There are set rules for how long different types of records need to be kept and when they can be destroyed. Risks exist for destroying records prematurely but risks also exist for holding on to records longer than required under the rules. Staff in your area, who have been specially trained by Curtin Information Management and Archives can assist you with determining what to do with your records. All staff should ensure that their University records are not deleted or destroyed without authorisation. If your area does not have records trained staff please contact Curtin Information Management and Archives.
    For more information on destruction of records see advice sheet Destruction Of Information or contact us on 7050 or  
    Q. How do I order archive boxes?
    A. Boxes for inactive and archive records need to be purchased from Curtin Information Management and Archives via  File Order Form.
    You will be invoiced directly and the boxes will be delivered to your area.
    Q. What are my recordkeeping responsibilities?
    A. Every staff member is responsible for making sure they create, capture, maintain, keep secure and dispose of records that document the business activities, transactions and events in which they take part.

    To help you do this, Curtin Information Management and Archives have developed a Policy, supporting procedures, advice and tools. For more information visit Curtin Information Management and Archives website

    Managers are also responsible for ensuring that staff members are aware of relevant Records Management policies and procedures and for encouraging recordkeeping awareness and training. Training is provided to all staff .

    For more information, please refer to Managing Information at Curtin.
    Q. What procedures should managers follow for staff leaving the University?
    A. Departure dates are to be identified as soon as possible and the departing employee must be made aware of their recordkeeping responsibilities. Managing Information When Leaving the University 

    - Departing employee must complete the Staff Exiting Checklist and ensure that all University records and files, regardless of media, including email, have been identified and added to the department's recordkeeping system and/or transferred and reassigned to another employee with appropriate clearance
  • The supervisor must initial the certification
  • Inactive records required to be retained are transferred to a suitable records storage repository
  • Records are only disposed of in accordance with Curtin Information Management and Archives policies and procedures
  • Document and report any unauthorised destruction or loss of records to the department's records officer and Curtin Information Management and Archives.
  • Recordkeeping and Information Management Training

    Q. Is training and support available?
    A.Training times and sessions are available via our website. For any other support or advice contact our Information Officers at or phone 7050
    Q. How do I book into Information Management training sessions?
    A. Our Curtin Information Management and Archives website will inform you on what training sessions are available.  To register for a session, log into Oasis
    • Access iPerform via the ‘My Work’ tab
    • Click ‘Browse for Training’
    • Locate your course from the list
    • Available sessions will be displayed
    • Choose your session and click ‘Request’

    Digitization and scanning of records

    Q. Do I need to scan hard copy records?
    A. For any information on scanning or digitizing records.  Please contact on 7050 or